Saturday 5 March 2011

Duck Ham part one


I've been threatening for a long while to start writing a food blog and here it is.  For far too long I've been lazily posting pictures of food and cooking on Facebook and gratefully getting comments from friends and family but now it's time to start doing this properly I think.

Why Grow Cook Brew?  Put simply it's what the blog will be about, growing veg and herbs, cooking from recipes and my own creations and my recent ventures into home brewing and real ale (and other beverages no doubt). 
So to begin its duck prosciutto or as I'll refer to it, duck ham.  I've pretty much followed the recipe from The Wild Gourmets by Guy Grieve and Thomasina Miers, halving the duck breasts (I've used two);


In a pestle and mortar crush up a few juniper berries, bay leaves, thyme leaves. black peppercorns, two garlic cloves and my variation from the book was to add a few slivers of orange peel. This is then mixed with 300g of rock salt and rubbed over the duck to be left in the fridge for 2 days.

Duck and orange is a classic combination and I'm hoping there's just enough in the salt mix to perfume the meat.  That's it for now,  I'll post up the final results and a recipe that I've used it in in two weeks, hopefully good things come to those who wait...

3 comments:

  1. That sounds great, I look forward to the result!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered about duck ham, and never been quite brave enough to try making it myself (duck isn't the cheapest meat after all!). I do however have two duck breasts sitting in my freezer waiting for a purpose, so I look forward to hearing how your experiment turned out!

    ReplyDelete